The Officers’ House project saw the redevelopment of a 1940’s constructed, and now dilapidated Grade II listed barracks building (Block A) and new twin block (Block B) running parallel at Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. This development provides additional housing within a thriving urban environment on the main approach to Woolwich Arsenal’s new Elizabeth Line station, with more than 160 residential spaces.
Block A, The Officer’s House was fully refurbished after 30 years of neglect since the Ministry of Defence’s vacation of the site and saw it be included on Historic England’s Heritage at risk register. In fact, the original Block A building had been earmarked for demolition until a U-turn saw the once important structure regain its use.
The Officers’ House architect Allford Hall Monaghan Morris chose Ibstock Brick as one of its preferred brick suppliers for this project, who provided a range of possible design iterations and specialist expertise on finalising the façades for both Block A and B. Ibstock’s Funton Old Chelsea Yellow brick was used on Block A, while Block B utilised its Dark Bevern Multi, with both choices taking into consideration the local area’s existing esthetics.
The new brickwork was carefully incorporated into the existing envelope by brickwork contractor Roman Builders, to match the original Flemish- bonded, London stock brickwork on display. Furthermore, original features on the 1940’s Block A building such as the porch, pediments, extensive leadwork and arch-topped gable windows were repaired.
The Officers’ House
“It was a privilege be involved on a project such as The Officer’s House, and help return it to active use, while making sure to preserve the character, history and architectural heritage of the
structure,” said, Irina Hughes, Design Advisor at Ibstock. “Utilising the comprehensive Ibstock brick range
was key to ensuring this project was a success, with two separate bricks being used during
renovations of Block A and construction of Block B. The result, a terrific structure that instead of
being demolished and forgotten, continues to serve its community.”